Monday 25 May 2009

Memorial Day: Remembering What is Real



Today is Memorial Day in the US. It is a time for reflection. It is a time to meditate on deeper truths. It is a time to remember what is real. It is a time to re-commit to your true purpose.

Here is a contribution to the importance of remembering. It is a poem I wrote for Happiness NOW. It is entitled: "A Mad, Forgetful Moment."

There once was a moment,

a mad, forgetful moment,

that slipped past eternity into time.

And in that moment,

mad and forgetful as it was,

out of nowhere an entire world,

separate from God, was dreamed up.

And although it was only a moment,

it felt like forever.

And although it was only a dream,

it felt so real.

In this mad, forgetful world,

the Ocean prayed to God,

"Give me water. I want water".

The Sun, brilliant and bright, would pray,

"Dear God, fill me with light."

And the mighty, powerful, roaming Wind would plea,

"Set me free, set me free."

One time, all of sudden,

and I don't quite know why,

the Silence began to speak,

"God grant me peace, grant me peace."

Then, Peace Itself, fell to its knees.

"Dear God, please, what can I do to be more peaceful?"

Now, looking quite perplexed,

prayed, "Dear God, what next?"

even eternity began to pray,

"I want to last forever and ever and ever."

Infinity felt small.

"Dear God, help me to grow."

And life itself, began to cry,

"I don't ever want to die!"

And you and I,

who are the essence of love,

we cried out for love.

"God please love me," we prayed.

"God, fill me with love," we prayed.

"God, grant me love."

Mad and forgetful as it was,

that moment in time soon slipped, tripped,

and fell away back into eternity.

It's all over now, save the memory,

- a mad, forgetful memory,

it too ready for eternity.